Sunday, October 10, 2010

mead batch

my very first batch of mead. i am attracted mead making because its cheap and easy and i can make small batches. here i used a spare 1.5 liter wine jug. I emptied one jug full of water into a sauce pan, added 1 pound of honey, and a hand full of raisins for nutrients. heated the mixture to close to a boil. let it cool. pitched the yeast and added an airlock (it kept slipping so i duct taped it on). I watched lots of videos on youtube and scoured the web for a recipe that was easily reducible but in the end i sorta winged it. its fermenting which is good. the only problem with mead is it needs to ferment for six month plus. I read an article that said the best way to cope with the long wait to taste your mead is to occupy yourself with making more batches of mead. eventually there will be an abundance. I plan to make a one gallon batch very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment